Saturday, April 2, 2011

Chihuahuas Living in Cold Weather?

I hear the question asked regularly (or some variation): "can I take my chihuahua to live with me in a cold place?"

It's a legitimate question because chihuahuas do tend to shiver and shake a lot when they're not in the heat--even when just in the shade for a while, often--and so owners worry about taking their little dog into a much colder environment.

The reality is that chihuahuas do fine in the cold, provided you wrap them up in a layer or two ...or three of clothing.  If you put a dog sweater on your chihuahua and then wrap a dog coat around him, he'll be fine.

I've lived in Canada with numerous chihuahuas and this has been the case with every single one.  Yes, they get cold without the clothes, but if you can pick up a few layers of chihuahua clothing for them, they stay warm and they do fine.  

I've just written an article to cover my opinion on this on my main blog (link in my bio) that you can read, but the simple answer is "good news: yes, they can live in cold climates."

Speak soon :)
-Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment